Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Matter of Perspective

So the other day, I ran into some friends that I haven't seen for a long while.  This husband-wife team and I used to run around in the circles, . Our kids were the same ages and we just sort of did life together,  

Then one day over time our circles began to change. While the deep friendship remained, we began to drift apart in life.   We didn't see one another as often.  As the seasons changed so did our season of life.  It was okay. It was good,  It was life.

Back to the other day-- I hadn't seen them together for a couple of years. What great joy there was as we caught up on what we were doing.  But as I left, I had a thought that has perturbed me ever since. They. looked. old.   They looked worn out and almost elderly.

When I think of my friends I see them in my mind as they were--twenty years ago.  I see us both as our younger selves. But the reality is that they are older.  And that means....that I am older too.  

I wonder if I looked old to them also.



2 comments:

betty said...

That was neat to see a special couple from your past. So true about perspective, we so forget we are all getting older every single day. I amaze myself when I look in the mirror and wonder how I got so old so fast.

Betty

MS said...

Betty,
I know I am getting old-- I look old, I feel old, but I swear there is a 20-something inside me and I forget that I am old. :)