Thursday, June 27, 2013

Trilofos

 
 
 
This is where I wish I were right now. In this beautiful countryside gazing upon Mount Olympus. This is taken from in a small Greek village of Trilofos.  The name literally means "three hills."   
 
My father grew up in this village until the age of 18 when he immigrated to the USA.  He returned to the area some 50 years later until he passed from this life. Dust to dust.... back to his roots. He is not buried here in Trilofos, but is nearby in another small town.  
 
It has been two years since I have been here and I wish I could go back.  Something calls to me.  Is it my heritage, my roots?  Is it my sense of family and loss?  This past year alone I have lost three family members to death .  Or does the beauty and history of the land cry out to me to visit once again.  If I had unlimited funds and uncomitted time, I would be there. 
 

No comments: