Tuesday, July 13, 2010

American Gothic - or "What I learned on my vacation"


American Gothic  was painted by Grant Wood in 1930.  The famous couple was not  really married, but modeled after his sister and dentist although they have been altered slightly to disguise their true identity. 

Wood liked a house he found in Eldon, Iowa and stopped to sketch it as he was passing through town. He later used that house as a backdrop for the  American Gothic painting.  Interestingly, his sister never actually saw the actual house until decades later. 
This summer I was traveling through Iowa and I stopped at the American Gothic House in Eldon.  There is a nice museum built nearby with some information and a small gift shop.  Of course, if you stop you must take advantage of the photo opportunities! 




The house Wood saw and stopped to sketch in 1930.





Stoic Me - American Gothic Style. (and my man with no face! )  

No comments: