Friday, January 1, 2010

How long is a Decade?

Okay, I know that a decade is 10 years, but it certainly doesn't seem like a decade has passed since the year 2000.  However, the calendar doesn't lie.  Let me take a quick look backwards at some things that have happened around and to me over the past decade.

  • In the year 2000 ( do you hear the music from Conan here like I do?), everyone was was worried about Y2K.  I nervously awaited for my computers to stop working, car accidents, and bedlam to ensue--but none of the above happened.  Thank goodness.
  • I graduated with two bachelor's degrees, summa cum laude,  in May, 2001.  It was a satisfying accomplishment for someone who quit school in 9th grade and got my GED a few years later. Many people have a negative connation towards people who have GED's.  Some of us, though, are pretty smart.  
  • I had been teaching less than a month when Sept.11, 2001 and later an anthrax scare happened. How to deal with 9 year olds scared out of their wits wasn't covered in any of my education classes. I guess instincts take over at a time like that. 
  • In this decade, I've taught in 2 different schools and I have taught both 4th and 5th grade.  I have worked for 4 different principals.  
  • My daughter spent 5 years living in South Korea, then spent a year as a missionary serving all over the world.  I saw her maybe a couple weeks per year. 
  • I obtained a Masters degree in Education, and started (and then postponed ) working on a doctorate. 
  • In 2006, I gained a new son-- a son-in-law to be exact.  He has been a blessing to my life. 
  • In 2008, I became a grandmother of the cutest little boy  ( some bias is allowed--- it is *my* blog) 
  • I developed some medical problems which I attribute to some trouble at work.  Some of the problems have been resolved both medical and work.  I am forced to take medication to control the more stubborn medical problems. 
  • My father passed away in November, 2008 thus showing me the circle of life.  A significant male in my life was taken away and a significant male in my life was given to me---in the span of 3 weeks.  
  • With both my parents gone on to the great beyond, I am sometimes feel as an orphan.  I struggle with wanting to become closer to other family members and staying my distance to shield myself from pain when we are eventually separated.
  • I stopped going to church because of {insert excuse here} although I never left God.  In 2009, I connected again to a church and have tried to be more faithful.
  • I've cried, I've laughed, I've loved, I've been annoyed and been annoying.  

This, of course, is not an exhaustive list.  It is just a snapshot of the past decade. I will undoubtedly think of more things in the next coouple hours.  That is just the way it is!   I have lived in 6 decades.  Man, that must make me OLD!  May I be around to blog when the next decade rolls around! 

No comments: