Thursday, July 16, 2009

Supreme Court Nominee Sonia

I had a bit of a bias against Sonia Sotomayor when President Obama nominated this Hispanic woman to the Supreme Court and asked that the confirmation hearings be rushed to let her join the court before the next Session in October.




I felt that Obama merely nominated her because she was both a woman and a minority. If confirmed Judge Sotomayor will be only the third female Supreme Court Justice ( the first two being Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsberg) and the first Hispanic.
Some controversy surrounding Judge Sotomayor some of her rulings and her speech that implies that she is biased towards people of color and towards women. Senate confirmation committee hearings have been taking place this week and Judge Sotomayer has been on the hotseat in front of a bipartisan panel of Senators.
I have been watching the hearings and although I don't know if my feelings have changed towards her nomination, but I do know that I have a respect for her. Sonia Sotomayor is intelligent, cool under pressure, and classy. If I am to take her for her words, I feel she would make an excellent Justice. The question is whether her words match her true nature.

No comments: