I am reminded of Frindle this week after seeing that Merriam-Webster has released a sampling of the new words they are adding to the 2009 Update of the 11th edition of their dictionary. Just like the character in Frindle discovered, when people start using words and they become a part of the vernacular-they may just become "official" and be placed in the dictionary.
Here are some of the new words and their definition.
- staycation - staying home or close to it for vacation
- carbon footprint - the negative impact someone has on the environment
- frenemy- one who pretends to be a friend, but is actually an enemy
- locavore- one who eats foods produced locally whenever possible
- webisode- an episode that may or may not have been telecast but can be seen on the web
- zip line - a cable that is suspended above an incline, with a pulley and harness attached for a rider
- cardioprotective- serving to protect the heart
Now you can use these words formally and not be worried!