Friday, July 10, 2009

New Words

A book my students like to read is Frindle by Andrew Clements. In short, it is the story about an upper elementary boy trying to create a new word after he finds out that the English language is dynamic. It is a great book--a favorite of not only my students, but of mine too.

I am reminded of Frindle this week after seeing that Merriam-Webster has released a sampling of the new words they are adding to the 2009 Update of the 11th edition of their dictionary. Just like the character in Frindle discovered, when people start using words and they become a part of the vernacular-they may just become "official" and be placed in the dictionary.

Here are some of the new words and their definition.
  • staycation - staying home or close to it for vacation
  • carbon footprint - the negative impact someone has on the environment
  • frenemy- one who pretends to be a friend, but is actually an enemy
  • locavore- one who eats foods produced locally whenever possible
  • webisode- an episode that may or may not have been telecast but can be seen on the web
  • zip line - a cable that is suspended above an incline, with a pulley and harness attached for a rider
  • cardioprotective- serving to protect the heart

Now you can use these words formally and not be worried!


1 comment:

Lori said...

I saw on the news last night some of these new words. They said there were close to 100 so I want to go look at the others. I'm surprised zipline is just now being added! I guess I could be considered a locavore since I buy my veggies at the farmers market whenever possible :)